UNO CHICAGO GRILL OFFERS CHOICES FOR ALL DIETS, FIGHTS TO ELIMINATE TRANS FATS AND PROVIDES DETAILED NUTRITIONAL
INFORMATION FOR ALL GUESTS
President and CEO Frank Guidara Offers Response to Center for Science in the Public Interest
BOSTON (February 26, 2007) - Uno Chicago Grill's President and Chief Executive Officer Frank Guidara today issued the following response to the Center for Science in the Public Interest's (CSPI) recent nutritional evaluation of Uno Chicago Grill's Pizza Skins appetizer and the request that nutritional information for every item be listed on the menu.
Uno Chicago Grill has long been an industry leader in addressing important health issues and continues to be proud of our transparency when dealing with customers.
- Uno Chicago Grill is committed to providing a range of menu items to suit the needs of all of our guests, including choices that are lower in fat and calories, but still taste great.
- CSPI failed to take into account the following notation that is clearly stated in our menu, "Most (appetizers) are sized to share with friends. We cook exclusively with 0 grams trans fat oils. For more details, visit our nutritional information center."
- Uno Chicago Grill is proud to provide nutrition information to our guests. All company Uno restaurants have nutritional information centers strategically placed in the front lobby that outline nutritional information, menu ingredients, potential allergens, carbohydrate counts and a gluten free menu for those suffering from celiac disease. This information is also available in the extensive nutrition section of Uno's Web site, www.unos.com.
- Further, Uno Chicago Grill was the first national casual dining chain to have 0 grams trans fats in our fries and, by May, all items on Uno's extensive menu will have 0 grams trans fats, another casual dining first. In recent months, we have added over 20 new items that are great nutritional alternatives to those seeking healthier choices. We're also working on developing a gluten free pizza. These are just a few examples of our continued effort to stay in front of consumer needs relating to health.
- Given the extent of our menu and the variety of guests' nutrition concerns, which extend far beyond just fat and calorie content, we believe our nutrition information kiosk, unique in casual dining, offers the best way to keep our guests informed and safe.
- Uno Chicago Grill's web site recently received exceptional marks from the "Consumerist" - a top nutrition blog - in the areas of availability/completeness of information, ease to locate and retrieve the information, and the availability of additional information such as allergy information.
About Uno Chicago Grill
Based in Boston, Uno Restaurant Holdings Corp. currently has a system of more than 200 company-owned and franchised full-service units. Uno Chicago Grill restaurants are located in 30 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, South Korea and the United Arab Emirates. The company also operates a consumer foods division which supplies airlines, movie theaters, hotel restaurants and supermarkets with both frozen and refrigerated private-label foods and branded Uno products. For more information, visit www.unos.com.
Back to Press Releases